Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Community

My sister Neff said to me during one of our talks: "Baba told me that if you feed your community, your community will feed you." Simple enough, and yet it was so right on in the moment. I had been pondering the last two years and the warm embrace and support that I have gathered from the community of people who support MaituFoods. There are times where I am overwhelmed by the thanks and appreci-love that I feel for the community of families and students at Black Star Academy, Pearl Academy, Ananse Kurom Learning Center and Akebon Home School Collective. What Neff said has rang true. As I have been blessed with the ability to feed my community, I in return am fed. There are countless days and experiences that I can recall where I have received so much from the children. Days where the family has arrived to deliver the food and the babies have burst with greetings when we walked through the door. Reaching for Kahen, sharing a childish joke, a hug, a question or a new lesson that they have learned. Or arriving at Black Star Academy and walking in on an experiment or some new movie the girls have created. The many jokes or teeny-bopper interests that they have shared. Or even more so when they share a piece of African or African Diaspora history with me that I had not been aware of, or some science fact. I am amazed at the intelligence and beauty of our youth. And to know that everyday they all are fed by food that my family has taken the time and energy to prepare and serve as our offering to them is a huge blessing.
So to the youth at Black Star Academy, Pearl Academy, Ananse Kurom Learning Center and Akebon Home School Collective, Mama JoVonna salutes you. Know that you are beautiful, creative, shining and blessed by the Most High. Love

*** A recipe sent by a family friend, she offered it as something to share...

Oatmeal Fruit Cookies
Mix:
  • 3/4 cup butter (can substitute w/vegan butter such as Earth Balance)
  • 1 cup sugar (half brown, half white)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup soy milk (can sub w/any other kind of milk or water)

In a separate container Mix:
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
Then add to butter and sugar mixture

Next stir in:
  • 3 cups whole oats (not quick oats or instant oatmeal)
  • 2 Tbs flax seed meal (ground flax seeds)
  • 1 cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, cherries, etc...)
  • 1/2 cup crushed pineapple (well drained)
  • 1/4 cup dried shredded coconut (unsweetened)
  • 1/4 tsp ginger powder
  • 1/4 tsp clove powder
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Scoop cookies onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 18-25 minutes. Cookies will be quite soft when done but become more firm once cooled.


My Kitchen sounds like: "Africa Unite" Berhane Selassie/Robert Nesta Marley

No comments: